This workshop were facilitated by Ms Sarah Hill, NSW President, Planning Institute of Australia and Mr John Lightfoot, Community representative, Northbridge Progress Association.
The range of issues discussed included:
- the importance of the relationship between the role of the Department of Planning and Infrastructure and the role of local Council
- the importance of planners being able to effectively engage the community at the appropriate time in the planning process and at the relevant level
- the importance of utilising Information Technology systems
- monitoring plans and the quality of their outcomes
- the need for better trained human and additional financial resources in order to bring about change
- the need for a plan to implement the new planning system
- the need to learn from other instances of change implementation
- the need for a whole of government approach
- the need for a plan to improve the education and training of planners
- the need for cultural change.
View or download a copy of the notes taken during this workshop.
Watch a video of the facilitators reporting on this workshop.